Friday, January 25, 2008

Tan's reading assignment

After reading Anne Tan's story "Mother Tounge", I came to the realization that language is viewed differently by different people. I will be completely honest and say, before I read this story, I had no respect for the way Chinese people spoke. It annoyed me, it made me feel like, how Tan put it, "broken". I thought if you came over here to get a job and a better career, why cant you speak my language better? I realized now that I was very wrong for thinking that. I was too consumed in my own world to even come to the rehlm of thinking, maybe thats how some child, such as Tan, looked at the way their mother or sister or cousin spoke as beautiful and intregueing. It felt like comfort to them. When they heard that soothing vioce it made them feel like nothing was wrong with the world, let alone the way theys spoke. I have alot more respect for the background behind why people speak the way they do, wheather it be broken or not and I have "Mother Tounge" to thank for that.

No comments: